So I have been toying with the idea of giving Little Man an allowance but I am not sure how to go about it doing. I have done so much research on it but all it has left me is even more unsure then when I started. My original thought process came when I was trying to come up with a way to accomplish two things. The first is Little Man doing the daily chores that are expected of him (i.e., feed the dog, pick up his toys, make his bed, help set the table, etc..). The second is to break him of the habit of thinking every time we go somewhere; I need to buy him something.
Yes, I spoiled my kid. Yes, I am paying for it now. Oh well...it is my mistake and I am going to correct it. I am just not sure how.
I thought if I offer him a set amount for each chore he needs to do every day, he would see a "reward" for doing his chores and it would accomplish the first issue. He would get the same amount for each task and he would also have a "money taken away" list which would list the actions that would take his money away. However, I have been reading arguments supporting giving money for chores as well as being against giving money for chores. The arguments state that a child should not be taught to get money for doing chores because as they get older, they will always expect to be paid for doing their chores. They should be taught to do chores because they are a contributing member of the family. The other arguments state that giving a child money for chores teaches responsibility since we as adult get paid to do our jobs, it teaches a child that if they complete their jobs properly; they will earn their "salary". I am just not sure which argument I agree with so I am confused about which I should do.
The second issue needs to come to a halt. I am doing really well as far as not buying him anything but I would really like to make a lesson out of it and teach him that money just doesn't grow on trees or magically come out of the little card Mommy uses at the store. I figured he had to start getting the things he wanted with his own money, it would help teach him how to save and that money is not "just available".
I just am not sure which route to take. So if you give your kids allowance, how do you do it? Do you attach it to chores or just give them a set amount each week? Do they get to keep their allowance, does it go in the bank or do you have a jar/container for them to keep it in?
Just wondering what you all think!!

2 comments:
Jack gets a commission. It's not for doing everything, just certain chores. I have a list of 3 things. Feeding the dog in the morning, afternoon and cleaning up his room. There's an extra column for extra special jobs. For each check mark he gets a quarter. If he doesn't do his jobs, then he doesn't get money. For things like putting dishes in the sink, cleaning up the kids area and others, he doesn't get money. One day he helped me clean the bathroom, that was an extra check mark. I think he's finally learning that you have to earn money and have to do jobs in order to get money. As he gets older, his chores/jobs will change. We have a program from Dave Ramsey that's great. Dave Ramsey did a great job in his program explaining about responsibility, earning money, being part of a family and how it all works together. Good luck with your search!
I like the check mark method, Robin. Where did you find the Dave Ramsey program? Is it in one of his books or on his web site?
Post a Comment