Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Pain

Have you ever sat back and wondered what defines pain? I really thought about that a lot these last few days. I think these last few days warranted thinking about it after all the doctor appointments we have had and everything that I wasn't expected to happen at these appointments.

On Monday, I got to experience pain through the eyes of my child. Little Man had his 4 year check up which also entailed the start of an allergy/asthma work up. Stats for the check up are 40.4 lbs and 43 1/2 inches tall (80% and 95+% respectively). He had a chest xray done and he was so proud that he went in all by himself (I was equally as proud). Then we had to have some blood drawn and the pain of the day began. I have never heard my child scream like that, even when he broke his arm at 20 months old. After the blood draw was 4 shots, again more pain and more screaming. I had to hold back the tears as I held my baby, reassuring him that it will all be okay.

On Tuesday, it was my turn to go to the doctor. I anticipated some blood work as I am being followed for a pre-diabetic condition. What I didn't anticipate was a thyroid ultrasound and the discovery of a small mass next to my thyroid. My doctor recommended a fine needle aspiration (FNA) and a thyroid scan. The FNA was done right then and it was extremely uncomfortable. The scan is next week...I guess I will see what kind of pain it will bring.

Today, it was our new puppy's turn for the doctor. She is only 3 months old so she is going to the vet pretty much every three weeks to get her shots just like a newborn baby. The only time she even whined was when they stuck a thermometer up her hiney (I probably would have too). She didn't even flinch when they gave her a shot and the tech commented on how she could tell when had small children in the house because Daisy was used to "pain". We really did pick the perfect dog for our family but that blog is for another day.

I think out of all three, the most painful for me was Monday. Nothing hurts me more than watching or hearing my child in pain. If I could protect them from everything, I would but I guess they need to figure out what their definition of pain is too!!

1 comment:

Rose said...

Witnessing the pain of your child is the worse!
Please keep me updated on your thyroid. You're in my prayers.