My kids are inundated with toys. It seems like everywhere I look in my house, there are toys of some sort!! I spoil them, the grandparents spoil them, everyone who knows them spoils them but that is okay in my book. I enjoy seeing them play and using their imaginations with their various Little People, Matchbox cars and, most recently with my Little Man, Legos. Little Man has really taken to Legos which makes me extremely happy because I really think they are a great toy. It is interesting to see him take them apart, put them back together in different ways and be so proud of the creation he has made!! I love it but that is where my newest dilemma comes into play.
Little Man started receiving allowance several weeks ago and has been saving every penny without fail since then because he is saving to get a $50 Lego Fire Boat. I have been encouraging him, praising him for doing such a great job savings and I have even been "helping out" the savings by giving him a quarter here and there for being a helper around the house. However, at $4 a week, saving for the Fire Boat seems like an eternity in the eyes of a 4 year old.
So we came up with a deal.
We went through his room and picked out older toys he no longer plays with and then picked out things in the garage that were once his but have gone to the way side. I promised him that we could have a garage sale to help him earn the rest of the money since I wanted to have a garage anyways. I told him that he could have all the money that was made from the selling of his old things. I figured this was only fair especially since all of those things were not bought for me nor were they mine to sell so it was only right for him to have the money. He has been so excited about the garage sale and keeps asking when we can have it.
Which is where the problem lays......
I have run out of time!! We leave in a week to go to the "Roc" for the rest of the summer and there is no way I am having a garage sale in that time frame. I promised him he would be able to buy the Fire Boat when we got to Grammy's house but now, since we won't have the garage sale, what do I do? Do I give him the rest of the money he needs since it is my fault he is not having the chance to "earn" it himself especially considering I was going to cover the difference anyways if he didn't earn the whole $50 or do I tell him he has to wait even though he has been doing everything he was told to do to get the Lego set?
What do you all think?
3 comments:
You could have him "sell" them to Good Will.
Theres two ways I would think of doing it. You could just buy it and put it away and allow him to continue to earn the money until he saved the full $50 and then give it to him. Or, as Rose suggested, you can tell him you want him to donate the toys to children who otherwise have none. For doing that, you will pay him for each toy he gives up. You decide the price for each toy, and that may get him a lot closer to his goal :)
I like Rose's idea. Or, you could try to sell them as a lot on Craigslist.
Post a Comment