The one thing my life has taught me is that when life gives you lemons, do your absolute best not to complain about their bitterness. If you can manage that, the lemonade you get in the end will be that much better!! Any one who really knows me, knows that I always try to find the silver lining in any situation and usually, my lack of complaining always leads me to greener pastures.
Tonight was a perfect example of this. Little Man finally started soccer, something we had all been very much looking forward to since it meant that we were finally getting some "normalcy" back into our lives. When we arrived to the field, we were a bit early but I wanted to make sure I introduced myself to the coach and wanted to make sure Little Man was at ease. I started to get a bit concerned when it became 5:40 and the coach still hadn't arrived, considering practice was suppose to start at 5:45. Finally he arrived and halfheartedly introduced himself to a few parents, mainly the Dads, before speaking to the boys. My concern deepened when the coach apologized for being unorganized, not having his equipment and then proceeded to have a difficult time getting the team to give him the attention he needed. But I decided to let it go,to see how my boy did and to just be happy that he might make a friend or two on the team. Nothing could beat the smile on his face as he started doing passing drills.
Eventually Princess and I decided to go walk along the walking trail surrounding the soccer fields. Half-way through our walk, my phone rings. The conversation goes like this:
Speaker: Hello ma'am, my name is Coach and your son is assigned to my U10 soccer team. Tonight is the first night of practice and he is not here so we were concerned.
Me: Yes, he is there. We were instructed to go to Field 8 East.
Speaker: Oh no, he is on our team but we are on 8 West. I will grab him and have him practice with us.
Me: Ok, I will be right there and I will bring him over
So, now I am even more concerned. First, the first coach didn't even realize Little Man was not suppose to be on his team? And now he is suppose to go on a different team with a new coach? Oh boy, how is this going to go over with my "anti-change" kid?
Well, it couldn't have turned out better. His new team is amazing!! All the boys are very nice and started talking to him right away. The coaches, both military guys, made him feel right at home and instantly realized how shy he is. They really encouraged every move he made and my boy loved every minute of it. When we left practice and went to dinner, he told me he couldn't wait for the next practice and he really thought this was going to be a great team. I am so happy to hear this and I am so glad that this worked out well for him. Lord knows, my kids need every ray of happiness they can get right now because this has been the hardest move ever for all of us!!
Finally, we are on our way to having a "normal" life again!!
1 comment:
Great story!!! Thank you for the gentle remember!!! Proud of you
Post a Comment