Sunday, August 12, 2012

Changes

I can not believe it has been 5 months since I last blogged. What have I been doing with my life??? ALOT. Hubby came home from deployment and life has been non-stop ever since. Between traveling (Alabama, Texas, Disney World and Louisiana), school ending (for the kids, at least) and now prepping for an overseas move, my life has been "go, go, go" every day. But I have been loving our summer so far and am partly sad to see it end in 10 days (the other part is excited because Mama needs so "alone" time to get some stuff done)!!!

So many changes are occurring in our lives right now. We are moving at the end of the year so the kids will only be attended their schools here until Thanksgiving. Then we will head to NY for the holidays and will leave for our new duty station shortly after the new year. Little man starts first grade and Princess starts Pre-K. I am entering my final year of college (YAY) and Hubster is just a handful of classes away from finishing his BS!!! Our lives seem to revolve around school in this household. Both kids will be doing gymnastics but we opted for no other sports since we are limited on time between school and moving preps. I wanted to keep our weekends open for visiting with friends and what not.

The biggest change that is about to occur in our life has to do with our diet. For years now, I have been battling with GI issues as well as being insulin resistant. My labs have been consistently getting worse despite me actually "feeling good". On top of my health issues, Princess was diagnosed with kidney reflux and Little Man with allergy induced asthma. Hubster is constantly fatigued and feels run-down regardless of what is going on (we could go on vacation, do nothing for a week and he is still exhausted).

Well I finally decided enough is enough. My soul sister started doing a program call TheWhole30 and was really pumped about it. She got me very intrigued especially when she told me about how it could help people with health issues such as my own. So I decided to purchase the book and let me tell you, I felt like I was reading "The Hunger Games" or "50 Shades" again because I couldn't put it down!! I was completely hooked and I was so excited to start the program!! Essentially the program is a way to reprogram your body to do what it is suppose to do by going back to a type of Paleo diet. Meats, veggies, fruits, nuts and good fats like cocanut oil and EVOO. Sounds good, right???

But there was a kicker for me........I knew that if I did not start the program with my entire family on board, I would not be able to do it. So I started discussing it with the Hubster. I read him different excerpts from the book and showed him how it could help not just me but all four of us. After talking to him very briefly, he hopped on board and is just as excited as I am to start the program. For anyone that knows my husband, you know what a hard thing this is for him because he is a very picky eater!! But he is doing his best to support me and anything that would make me feel better and possible end up OFF medications!!

So the start date has been set: August 15th. Today I am doing a shopping list and tentative meal guide. Tomorrow and Tuesday, I am packing up all the junk food in the house and saying goodbye to it!! This change I think will actually be the hardest on our Princess. She has a wicked sweet tooth but if we stick to it, hopefully not only will my children develop great eating habits but they will learn that dessert and sweets are a very rare treat versus an everyday occurrence (after the 30 day start, of course).

So wish us luck and if you have something negative to say about it, I ask you these questions: Are you overweight? Are you a picture of health? Do you ever suffer from any kind of  pain like joint or stomach pain, allergies, poor sleeping habits, headaches, etc...? Then maybe, before you judge and interject your unnecessary comments, you should look at the program yourself. It might change your life!!!

No comments: