Monday, February 8, 2010

Make-Over Monday: Eating Better

So it is Make-Over Monday!!!! But I didn't exercise or weigh-in today. I am still feeling under the weather and trying to catch up from being gone on emergency leave. I decided I am officially going to start back on my routine on Wednesday...I know random day but it fits the best!! Plus it gives me one more day to feel 100%!! So Wednesday I will update. I know I gained weight while we were gone since it was so hectic and we ate on the fly most of the time. I am so tired of fast food and junk, it is time to make a huge change in our household.

I was watching "The Doctors" the other day and they were talking about processed foods and how America is so accustom to eating processed foods. What surprised me is the fact that 95% of the food carried in the grocery store is considered processed, even frozen vegatables and milk. So instead of cutting out processed foods, I am going to concern myself with being smarter about what is listed in the ingredients and what is better for my family. I am going to avoid things like "enriched flour", "partially hydrogenated" and "high fructose corn syrup" and the like. I am going to try to look for things that are as close to natural as possible. But the key is to not try to do it all at once, I need to retrain our taste-buds. I am the worst one in the family since I have a wicked day sweet tooth. The hardest part for me is going to be with Jordan who loves fruit but we have to limit it because it causes her to have awful diaper rashes. But I am hoping in the long run, this works for my family and we get to a better eating lifestyle.

Wish me luck!!!

2 comments:

Lindy said...

Good Luck Jaime! I have changed a lot of of processed food intake... I buy maybe 1 or 2 canned items now and about as many boxed items. :) I try to get fresh fruits and veggies as much as possible. It really does taste SO much better.

Rose said...

I second Lindy! Cooking with fresh stuff is so much yummier (and it doesn't hurt so much if you snack while you're cooking).